Monday, February 23, 2004

Over the weekend, my next-door neighbour died. She was Australian and taught English. Because she lived alone, she was reluctant to call for help when she felt she was having a heart attack. Earlier that day, she had already gone to the hospital and complained about chest pains. The doctor who examined her said she had a clogged artery but nothing serious. She was told to come back after a week for a minor operation. The a 3am, Friday, she had a stroke. She waited until six in the morning to call neighbours and friends to take her to the hospital. She died at 8:30 the same day. Her name was Larraine Stanley. She was only 55. I will always remember her as the active, friendly and sweet neighbour who would show us her recent purchases, at bargain prices!...and chat about school life, her family and stuff about life and living. She always had activity books and toys for little children so that kids love visiting her. Wherever she may be, I know she is in a much better place. I just feel sad about the sudden-ness of it all. Even if we know, at the back of our minds, that death is an inevitable destination of our journey, I still cry when someone I know, especially someone close dies. I guess it was I who wasn't ready to say goodbye. I wonder if I ever will be. I miss her already.

No comments: