Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Driving Test Take 1

There I was at 6:30 am, trying hard to stay awake as I hailed a taxi to take me to Muroor...the traffic department, where I was to take my driving test.

There are three tests. First you do a left or right reverse parking. If you pass this, you continue to do a parallel parking (right or left) and finally, the bridge hanging (front and back).

There were about a hundred women, some expats but mostly local ladies who, for the life of me, I could never understand why you'd go to your driving test dressed like a ninja?! The black dress is difficult enough to maneuver in but the covered face...? Not to mention inappropriately high heeled sandals.

Forgive me, I digress. So after about 50 names, my name was finally called and this was around 10:15 am after waiting from 6:45 in the morning. So all sweaty and totally nervous (having witnessed the success or failure of previous test-takers) I went into my assigned car. It was a left reverse parking and I did the reverse beautifully! Now the problem is you must get the car back to it's original position and I don't know what I did but my back tires hit the gutter and so - in so many words...I failed my first attempt.

Like many before me, I went into the office and was given another slip stating the date of my next test. It is after schedule after a month from current date.

No comments: