Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Test Drive

Yipee!!! I've finally passed the bridge part of my driving test. It was proving so much to be my nemesis that in several moments of fear and self doubt, I was really close to just giving it all up and bear not having a driving license in the UAE. But three's a charm and I've fianlly got it my third try.

Now I'm off to the fourth and final part of the UAE driving challenge which is the actual road test.

To the foreign visitor of this bog, unexposed to Emirati culture and ways, there are many ways of going about getting a driving license in the United Arab Emirates.

If you come from a first world country, often in huge business/economic relations with UAE, your passport and driving license from your country is enough to get you a UAE equivalent. These are the Brits, Americans, Canadians, European Union member countries, Australians and New Zealanders. From Asia, it is only the Japanese who get the privilege.

If you come from GCC countries - Saudi, Bahrain, Qatar, Kuwait, Oman - you also get the license equivalent from your country.

If you come from the rest of the world...you must go through a series of driving tests to prove you are indeed worthy of such a license.

And that is where the fun starts but I shall post it next blog as my boss just called me for something....

No comments: